Monday, October 6, 2008

Kitchen Wars

The cabinet doors are closed but I can still almost feel an air of jealousy and rivalry in the kitchen... Peanut Butter, a longtime favourite, is feeling threatened (and rightfully so) for look who I brought home:

There's a new nut butter in town, and boy is this one good! Macadamia nuts are my absolute fave (how awesome would it be if Larabar made a Macadamia Nut Cookie bar?!?!), and in this spread they provide a perfect sweetness. The creamy texture and taste made this hands-down the best nut butter I have ever tried. I had seen this brand (Nuts to You Nut Butter Inc.) in stores before but shied away from the $8/jar price tag. Tonight, however, I found it in a tiny Arabic grocery store for only $3.29- that's cheaper than the pb is at my favourite health food store! And at that price, peanut butter is fighting a losing battle for shelf space in my kitchen.

In other news, the boyfriend and I are embarking on an adventure this week- we are renting a car and driving from Montreal to my hometown in Nova Scotia to celebrate (Canadian) Thanksgiving with my family. Sounds lovely and all, except that this glorious trip is going to take us 14 hours to complete. Yep, that's one way. Needless to say, 28 hours on the road within a 4 day span means LOTS of car snacks- what are your favourites?? I have a lot of stocking up to do!! Hopefully we don't get lost in rural Quebec or run into moose in New Brunswick (they have moose crossing signs all over there). I'll be sure to fill you all in on whether I make it through the drive with my sanity intact, and of course post some pics of the fresh seafood and turkey dinner waiting for us in NS!

Have a great week all! :)

9 comments:

lighterportions said...

I definitely have two nut butters from that brand sitting in my cupboard right now. Almost empty. Great stuff. But I don't know if I've ever seen that specific kind! I'll certainly be on the lookout. I now want to go scouring all the little foreign grocery stores around here instead though. Could be quite the adventure!

Have an awesome time in Nova Scotia... road trip! That's so long to be in a car though... I've done it before. Brutal. Bring lots of good music ;)
As for snacks, I guess I'd probably go with the obvious stuff such as lots and lots of bars, fruit, nuts and trail mix, dry cereal, pb+j... weee!

just me said...

when my bros came this weekend they wanted to take pb and j to the air show, so i lined up all my nut butters and discovered that i have SIX KINDS in my cabinets/fridge!!!! crazy!!! but that one sounds good...i just tried cashew butter...but i'll have to look for the mac one next!!

and i hope you have a good drive w/ the boy! that's a long time! hope your ipod is fully charged!

and as for snacks...bars, cereal, apples and other core fruits, baby carrots, mini pb and j's...all good stuff!

glidingcalm said...

wow! that sounds good! the only crazy other nut butter I've tried is Almond...but i really want to try sunbutter and cashew...and macadamia I guess as well! TJ's has pretty good deals... I should look around!!

AND WAHOO ....ROAD TRIP!! Just don't kill each other!

VeggieGirl said...

Linds, you definitely outdo me in finding scrumptious, unique nut-butters, haha!! :0)

Have an amazing time celebrating Thanksgiving!! Car snacks = fresh & dried fruit; and... LARABARS!!! :0)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ugh, I HATE long car trips!!!

My favorite car snacks would probalby be Jocalat bars, because they enable me to get my chocolate fix, but I don't have to worry about them melting.

Conquerbysmiling said...

Hmmm our family always cooks up a storm before traveling. Cookies are your best bet in that area. I always take fresh fruit along since it can be very difficult to find it on the road. Sandwhiches will definitely be a must - especially with that new nut butter!!! As everyone said before me, Bars are a lifesaver :]

Erin of Care to Eat said...

Macadamia butters are heaven. :)
When I moved from OR to TX, I brought salmon jerky, a jar of PB, tons of carrot sticks, fresh fruit, turkey slices, trail mix, and homemade bread. Have a great trip!

Ann said...

I've been reading your blog for a while, and just wanted to say that I'm also from Nova Scotia! Hope you enjoy your trip down, even though it'll be quite a long drive!

sweeteats said...

I've never tried macadamia nut butter, but after your review, I'd love to get my hands on some!